March 28, 2006

I wish I hadn´t known

So in culture class today we started the gastonomy section. We started talking about morcilla. Do you know what morcilla is? Yeah, I didn´t either. About twice a week at my host family´s house, we get this sausage in our soup. Sausage I can handle. Sure I don´t like the taste but I can smile and get it down my throat. Only morcilla isn´t sausage. I have been eating congealed blood. Yes, blood, curdled, thick, nasty blood wrapped in an intestine or who knows what. That is it. I can eat it no more. It was better when I didn´t know what it was. I feel queasy just thinking about it.

morcillaHere´s what wikipedia had to say about morcilla: "Blood sausage or black pudding or blood pudding is a sausage made by cooking down the blood of an animal with meat, fat or filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled." I´ve been eating this for the 2 months! Everyone said my face turned pale in class when I found out what is was.

I think I need to lie down.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:21 PM

    Mmmmmmmm....congealed blood...pretty soon you'll be eating blood soup, blood pudding, blood everything...ehhh, just writing me makes me shiver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:01 PM

    OH MY, I'M SO GLAD I STOPPED IN TO TAKE A PEEK AT YOUR BLOG............I NOW KNOW WHAT CONGEALED ANIMAL BLOOD IS CALLED, LUCKY ME............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:10 PM

    It makes me sick to just think about that Jenn. Are you still going to eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, it is disgusting. ew. I have decided to just plain hurt their feelings and not eat it. Once you know that you are eating blood, you can´t ever forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:08 PM

    Hi Jenn, I looked up "sagrada familia" from google and found your blog just by chance. Just to let you know how the blood sausage story amused me :) I'm from Estonia - small country in N-Europe next to Finland. Blood sausage is our national Christmas food and everyone just loves it :)))) Otherwise we are normal human beings:)
    Greetings from Estonia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. man up girlie and eat your blood sausage. what a treat! I cooked up two rings for my daughter's family last week and they loved it. Try some Polish duck's blood soup (czarnina) next time.

    ReplyDelete