January 30, 2008

The Coast of Chicago

Nighthawks by Edward Hopper The Coast of Chicago by Stuart Dybek was my latest read. I really liked this example of literary fiction. This compliation of short stories was very poetic and well-written. The Coast of Chicago by Stuart DybekThey flowed and spoke to a true part of human nature and experience. Actually, I liked all the stories but the one entitled Nighthawks, which I felt like was trying too hard to imitate Edward Hopper's painting shown above (which I actually got to see on exhibit at the National Gallery in Washington DC). Other than that section, I would highly recommend The Coast of Chicago for a good pleasure read. I will leave you with one of my favorite lines although it isn't exactly representantive of the whole, "I would sit out of sight beneath the dining-room table, my plastic cowboys galloping through a forest of chair legs, while I listened to Mrs. Kubia talk about Marcy." A beautiful way with words.

I'd like to visit Chicago someday. It is on my must-visit list.

No comments:

Post a Comment