June 25, 2008

Global Exchange

I've been checking out this site, Global Exchange, per the recommendation of a reliable source:). I love the message it promotes. I love it's purpose and it's vision.

Global Exchange is a membership-based international human rights organization dedicated to promoting social, economic and environmental justice around the world.

We envision a people centered globalization that values the rights of workers and the health of the planet; that prioritizes international collaboration as central to ensuring peace; and that aims to create a local, green economy designed to embrace the diversity of our communities.
However (of course there is always a however), I'm not 100% convinced this community of people has all the answers. While I am passionate about obtaining "social, economic and environmental justice," I feel like the site is somewhat one-sided and slides into conspiracy theory group think. Don't get me wrong, they ought to be commended for their efforts and noble convictions, but I get the feeling that sometimes people get so caught up in their mission they never stop asses the situation correctly or to find the right cure.

I am reminded of Confessions of an Economic Man by John Perkins which was an engaging and disturbing read, but more than likely exaggerated account of evil corporate America and government.

That said, there's a lot to read over at Global Exchange, so go visit. There's a lot of pondering to do. What is truth and myth when it comes to globalization?

No comments:

Post a Comment