July 23, 2008

What the Bleep Do We Know?

Perception is everything. The docu-drama film, What the Bleep Do We Know was interesting to say the least:

Starring Marlee Matlin and 14 Scientists and Mystics. Exploring the worlds of Quantum Physics, Neurology, and Molecular Biology in relation to the spheres of Spirituality, Metaphysics and Polish weddings.
The whole phenomenon expressed in this movie is likely pseudoscience, but many of the ideas considered are still worth thinking about. You should watch it if you are want a good "thinker."

My lingering thought after watching the film is that linking quantum mechanics with consciousness, is the modern day humanism. Think about it; the movement is shockingly similar to ideas that sparked humanism during the Italian/European Renaissance. God within the self. Connectedness--now termed "entanglement". Individual empowerment and actualization. Marriage of religion and science. Emphasis on human creation and the ability to affect one's world. Humanism has reinvented itself into post-modern thought.

Also, my thoughts on this docu-drama continue...maybe we need these whack ideas to push our society out of constructed thought. Sure, believers get excited and take their theories too far, but asking people to step beyond what they have always assumed is a healthy dose of perspective. I predict, that just like humanism, the collective idea will be debunked, but a few of the more coherent principles will prove to be likely.

2 comments:

  1. hmmm..I think we are a long way from the marriage of religion and science...no one wants to cross both territories at the same time. The two ideologies are never mentioned in the same breath...at least, where I experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:41 AM

    I watched this a few weeks ago. I thought it was pretty interesting.
    I don't think you can separate religion and science. Your views in one affect your views in the other. And I'm still angry about my one prof who told me that you can't be a scientist if you're a Christian. Guess it is a good thing I was a business major.

    ReplyDelete